Now let me be very very VERY clear........I have always hated running. Just the idea of it had me like blehhhhhhhhhh.
The first time I did 5k....it took me nearly 50 minutes! I am not really unfit but I have just hated it always...with a passion!
But over the last 10-12 months, I have really started to get into it, for various reasons.
- My GF decided she wanted to start running, and I am a firm believer in supporting anyone who is actively making strides to become better in whatever they do. It is too easy to sit around and whine, loads of people do that, but I respect and admire people who actively get up and do something...anything..just start.
- I went all in, I went and had a gate analysis (see how you run and get trainers accordingly) and started running with her and on my own. I have come to realise over time, that by investing and going all in,
- I make it hard for myself to back out and I have to keep going.
- I am a firm believer that you should do stuff that you will find a challenge
- Because I found it a challenge....I kept at it
- Because I was sooo crap at it, every-time I did it...I got better at it, and this made me want to do it again!
- I found other people who liked running, and joined them. At work we have a run club (I am one of the slowest guys btw)
- I have found that it is an incredible mental challenge, every bit of my mind wants me to stop...but pushing past that feels amazing.
- For me the overall time isn't as important as the distance!